Today for lunch (Mom was shopping with Charlotte) the girls and I made peanut butter sandwiches. I asked for a butter knife to spread the peanut butter and both girls ran for the silverware drawer. After tussling for a minute Sophie emerged victorious and handed me a knife...meanwhile, Elanor has collapsed on the ground with her own knife, completely distraught. Both wanted me to use their knife and the crying and whining and arguing and hitting are just getting started.
In an attempt to defuse the situation before lunch is completely ruined, I took both knives and hid them behind my back. Both girls stopped the waterworks to see what I was doing. I twirled both knives around several times behind my back and then pulled one out to spread the peanut butter and put the other away, telling them that none of us know which is which anymore.
Surprisingly, it worked! They both calmed down and we continued making the sandwiches. Then Sophie makes an observation that made my mouth drop open: "Dad, that was a great trick! When I have kids, and they're arguing like we were, I'm going to do that too."
Yes, Sophie, I do hope you have a kid just like you...and thanks for the compliment!
Saturday, July 3, 2010
A compliment (an observation from Dad)
Posted by Andrew at 4:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
That's totally awesome. I don't think I would have thought of that, but it's quite clever. I'm impressed at Sophie's forethought, too.
Post a Comment