Monday, April 27, 2009

Every once in a while I feel like a genius...

On Saturday it was hot (near 90) and we had a picnic to go to. I was to bring a salad and I planned on bringing a yummy vegetable salad with a mayo dressing. I just thought of my salad getting all soggy and warm sitting out for an hour or so in the hot. And what if there was leftovers, they would have to be tossed. Then came my genius idea, what if I put ice around the salad bowl to keep it cool. What if I put water in a bigger bowl, placed in the serving bowl (held it down with rice) and froze it over night.

The ice

The yummy salad in the bowl.

After 2 hours in the hot sun, there is still some ice left. The salad was nice and cool, only one serving of leftovers, sadness.
I know this isn't a new idea but I felt very clever. So the next time you need to take a dish to an outdoor potluck on a hot day remember this little trick.

Doesn't the salad look so delicious, well here is the recipe.
Sunny Vegetable Salad (Dorothy's recipe)
10 C vegetables*, cut into bitesize pieces- broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, peppers, etc
2 C shredded cheese
2/3 C onions
½ C raisins
1 C mayo
½ C sugar
2 Tbsp cider vinegar (or regular if don't have cider)
6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
¼ C sunflower seeds
In a large bowl, toss vegetables, cheese and raisins. Combine mayo, sugar and vinegar. Pour over salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle with bacon and sunflower seeds before serving.


*The original recipe called for 5 C broccoli and 5 C cauliflower, but I just mix and match whatever veggies I have on hand the day I make it. I like to add carrots and red peppers for the color. You could also add hard boiled eggs or pasta and that would be tasty also.

4 comments:

Erika said...

Looks good...and a great idea. I wouldn't have thought of it, props to you!

Pour Les Enfants said...

Great idea Michelle. Sometimes we even surprise ourselves. Great idea.

Dorothy said...

Andrew knew what he was doing when he married you! (Great choice for the salad, by the way) :)

Elise said...

That salad looks delicious. I'm going to have to try it sometime soon. You should feel like a genius more often. I'm not surprised one bit that you thought of this--you're always coming up with good ideas like this.