Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Day 35: Why me?

Last summer while we were on vacation I received the unfortunate jury duty letter. The worst part is the jury time frame was for a whole stinking year and a half. Really, 18months of dread of waiting for a summons letter. Well, my time has come and I received the summons letter in the mail today. Now I have to call in on a specific day and listen to what day I have to drag myself to the nearest federal courthouse. Not a fun task since it is about 25 miles away in DC traffic.

I know it is my civic duty. Blah, blah, blah. Andrew would love this opportunity, I've been summoned before in Arizona and he was jealous then. I was able to delay it twice and then the third time I dragged myself and Sophie to the courthouse. I was sent home pretty quickly after being questioned about day care/family close by. I had friends who would have watched her but she was my first and I had never been away for longer than a couple of hours.

So that is my whiny complaint for this night. Anyone want to share jury stories?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Try and think of it as an adventure and a day away from the kiddos!?!

But yeah....I won't be thrilled if/when my time comes.

Elise said...

I've never been summoned (crossing my fingers) but my Dad has several times and when that person questions him (the one to make sure the jury members won't be biased, etc.) he goes into a spiel about how he studies fraud and biases and believes that no one can be un-biased, blah blah blah. It works every time. They just send him on home!

I'm interested to hear how it goes for you. Maybe you can pretend to be some sort of political radical?

Dorothy said...

I went through those questions once and they didn't seem to like that I was so "ultra conservative" and sent me home. :) Another time, another trial, they decided I was okay and I actually got to be part of a jury trial. It was a simple one, but actually kind of interesting just to see how these things work in real life. But it certainly is a disruption of our comfortable life patterns. :)

Pour Les Enfants said...

I was called once in college, but was quickly dismissed least I worked for the DA at the time. I guess I was slightly biases, but I could not have been. But my brother served on one a few years back and thought it was really interested. It was a fraud case and after they decided the guy was guilty my brother explained how much damaged he did. I think although you HATE the idea, jury duty is a pretty amazing thing. Do what you concious tell s you to do, but realize that you should be happy at the opportuntiy to fulfill your civic duty.

michelle said...

I will go when my time comes up and this time minus kids. I just wish someone (namely Andrew) who wants to go and be on a jury would get called up instead of me.